Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Skydiving In My Skivvies

Less than a month from now I will be jumping out of a plane wearing nothing but underwear. On Saturday, November 17, I will join Esme & Eve Los Angeles founders Jennifer Hoffman and Marisa Gallegos, along with four other courageous women, to take a leap of faith (literally).

The group jump is part of the Be Bold. Take the Leap. initiative. It’s Esme & Eve’s call to action for women everywhere to face their fears, take a risk and push against whatever is holding them back from carrying out their dreams. The jump out of the plane wearing virtually nothing symbolizes the bold action of letting go and moving on with one’s life. Each of the seven women will “take the leap” for herself and for other women like her.



Jennifer and Marisa
The jump that inspired it all.

Meet a Few of the Women:

Jennifer Hoffman
- Photographer, Co-Founder of Esme & Eve
- In August 2011, Jennifer's marriage ended when she was hospitalized from being beaten by her now estranged husband. She is jumping for women, like herself, who have been victims of domestic violence.

Marisa Gallegos
- Photographer, Co-Founder of Esme & Eve
- A few years ago Marisa found out her father had a stroke and multiple Myeloma. Three short weeks later he passed away; meanwhile, her serious relationship at the time was ending. Marisa is jumping to show women that something beautiful can be born from the darkest moments.

Rachel Elizabeth Murray
-  Fitness Expert and Nutritional Coach
- In the summer of Rachel’s junior year in college she was raped. When her anger and shame became desperation and self-destruction, Rachel turned to her faith, her family and fitness for healing. She is jumping for women who have been assaulted, proving that personal growth is possible in the face of tragedy and hardship.

Aban Sonia 
Creative Director for Artisans Agency
- Aban grew up in a household where physical abuse, substance abuse and sheer violence were a part of her day-to-day life. For years the internal, emotional damage weighed down on her making it hard to appreciate her many accomplishments. Although those around her caused the damage, Aban realized she was the only one with the capacity to heal the pain. She is jumping for women damaged by someone they love, showing them life’s circumstances and fear do not have to define your present or your future.

So you might be wondering why on earth I'm doing this crazy jump or where I might fit into this. Well, nearly four years ago my world came crashing down when a verbally abusive relationship spiraled out of control. With the love and support of my amazing mother, family and friends, (and by the grace of God) I was able to recover from a very dark time in my life. I'm jumping for young women, like myself, who feel trapped and alone in an unhealthy relationship.

(I continue to joke about whether "Depends" will fit under my undies. I'm thrilled to be a part of this, but I get nervous butterflies every time I think about it. I've always wanted to skydive, and this definitely seems like the perfect reason to do it! Life is short, so why wait?)

More about Esme & Eve:
Couture and boudoir converge in fine art images at Esme and Eve Los Angeles. Named for the classical icons of love and creation, the company is the brainchild of two best friends and professional photographers on a mission: to portray authentic women at their most beautiful…confident, elegant and effortlessly sexy. The resulting museum quality images are timeless, tasteful and make exquisite gifts for both recipient and giver. www.esmeandeve.com

E&E was the very first account I was given to work on at KMA, so I hold them very near and dear to my heart. Not only did I gain amazing clients, I gained two lifelong friends. I often refer to Jennifer and Marisa as the older sisters I never had. Their friendship means a lot to me, and I feel very blessed to have them in my life.

Here's a fun little article posted about the jump on LAist.com: http://laist.com/2012/10/19/skydive_in_your_underwear_with_be_b.php. Very exciting! Please pray for more press to come - this is an amazing initiative that deserves attention.

Thanks for reading! It means a lot to me!

xx
Mallorie

No comments:

Post a Comment