Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up

This weekend was both relaxing (Saturday) and eventful (Sunday). After two events, one on Thursday and one on Friday, I was in need of some R&R. Thursday's event was the relaunch of the patio at the Sofitel Hotel in Beverly Hills. (Check out the hotel here.) Friday's event was a charity fundraiser hosted by our client, plastic surgeon Michael K. Obeng, for Breast Reconstruction Awareness. Dr. Obeng's non-profit medical service organization, R.E.S.T.O.R.E Worldwide Inc., provides free reconstructive surgery and related medical services to children and adults with disfiguring deformities from birth, accidents and diseases. It's amazing what he does for others less fortunate than himself. (Watch this video to see just exactly what R.E.S.T.O.R.E does. Be prepared to shed a tear! It's a very moving piece.)

 Centerpiece from "Forever Femme" event. Pink for breast cancer.

Saturday morning I was up by 8 a.m. to go to "un-boot camp" at UCLA's Drake Stadium. I've been going to un-boot camp for over a month now. It's 30 minutes of high intensity training - a great workout AND only 30 minutes! (That's the best part!) The class is held by Rachel Elizabeth Murray, fitness expert and nutrition coach. She recently moved to LA from Seattle and is working hard to establish reestablish herself. Rachel has become a close friend and someone I admire. See why by going to her website: http://causefitness.com/

Needless to say, after the class (and a nice hot shower) I was pooped! I spent Saturday napping and relaxing. That night I decided to walk down to The Grove for a little shopping. (Curious what The Grove looks like? Check it out! http://www.thegrovela.com/) Right now The Grove has "Ag-Venture Land" for kids complete with live animals, cow milking and pooper scooping! The sights and smells made me feel like I was back home in Iowa. I will definitely be back to feed the little animals in the petting zoo!



Sunday was LA Magazine's "The Food Event" at Saddlerock Ranch in Malibu. One of our clients, The Republic of Laughter Cafe, had a booth, so we were there to make sure everything ran smoothly. However, the real benefit was sampling food and wines from various restaurants and vineyards around LA. There were so many delicious dishes from seared tuna to goat cheese to short-ribbed grilled cheese. I had to laugh to myself thinking that if this event were happening in Iowa, the food would be a lot more hearty. Regardless, it was a great event complete with great food and breathtaking sights. While the pictures don't quite do the ranch justice, they'll give you a little bit of an idea.

Excited for The Food Event! (L to R: Me, Kelly and Sylva)


The little door leading to... The Food Event at Saddlerock Ranch in Malibu


Zebras at Saddlerock Ranch!

I overheard a woman call this camel a llama. Really?! Not even close!


Saddlerock Ranch in Malibu


Kelly, Sylva and I at The Food Event.


So many tents!


Chef Govind hard at work for ROFL Cafe (our client).
(His short rib grilled cheese has been on Oprah!)


The plates held your silverware, food and wine! Brilliant!


Yummy food!



Relaxing by the pretty little pond.


Beautiful lounge area.



Sylva and I feeling very full after sampling so many delicious foods!


After the event Matt, his writing partner/roommate/friend Keenan, and I got in the Halloween spirit with pumpkin carving! Check out our great designs below. Side note: For those of you wondering, Matt and I met by chance through friends. (Matt happens to be friends with my friend's boyfriends.) He and I met not long after I moved here and became great friends over the summer. It wasn't until recently, about a month ago to be exact, that we began dating. Anyways, keep scrolling for pumpkin carving pictures!

Artists at work... Feeling festive!


Finished product! Batman by me, Ron Swanson by Matt and The Big Bad Wolf by Keenan.


A close-up of my Batman carving.



That's all for now. Sorry for the delay between posts. I will work on that.
Thanks for reading!

xx
Mallorie

No comments:

Post a Comment